- Distracted driving and risk of road crashes among novice and experienced drivers.
- Klauer SG, Guo F, Simons-Morton BG, Ouimet MC, Lee SE, Dingus TA.
- N Engl J Med. 2014 Jan 2;370(1):54-9.
Rationale for inclusion: This New England of Journal of Medicine article is the only study that analyzed crashes between novice and experienced drivers (167 and 518), to analyze the comparison of crashes that included drivers attempting to accomplish secondary tasks (e.g. texting), and found that the risk of crashing among novice drivers trying to accomplish secondary tasks was increased.
Citations - 246 (as of July 2017)
- A meta-analysis of the effects of cell phones on driver performance.
- Caird JK, Willness CR, Steel P, Scialfa C.
- Accid Anal Prev. 2008 Jul;40(4):1282-93.
Rationale for inclusion: Large Meta analysis demonstrated decreased reaction times with mobile phone use, with good inter-lab reliability and large sample size.
CAVEAT: Meta analysis
Citations - 429 (as of July 2017)