GI - Liver: Artificial Liver Support
- Extracorporeal albumin dialysis with the molecular adsorbent recirculating system in acute-on-chronic liver failure: the RELIEF trial.
- Bañares R, Nevens F, Larsen FS, Jalan R, Albillos A, Dollinger M, Saliba F, Sauerbruch T, Klammt S, Ockenga J, Pares A, Wendon J, Brünnler T, Kramer L, Mathurin P, de la Mata M, Gasbarrini A, Müllhaupt B, Wilmer A, Laleman W, Eefsen M, Sen S, Zipprich A, Tenorio T, Pavesi M, Schmidt HH, Mitzner S, Williams R, Arroyo V; RELIEF study group.
- Hepatology. 2013 Mar;57(3):1153-62.
Rationale for inclusion: This is the RELIEF trial, which showed no change in 28 day mortality from ACLF.
Citations - 227 (as of July 2017)
- Effects of fractionated plasma separation and adsorption on survival in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure.
- Kribben A, Gerken G, Haag S, Herget-Rosenthal S, Treichel U, Betz C, Sarrazin C, Hoste E, Van Vlierberghe H, Escorsell A, Hafer C, Schreiner O, Galle PR, Mancini E, Caraceni P, Karvellas CJ, Salmhofer H, Knotek M, Ginès P, Kozik-Jaromin J, Rifai K; HELIOS Study Group.
- Gastroenterology. 2012 Apr;142(4):782-789.e3.
Rationale for inclusion: This is the HELIOS trial - which showed no change in 28 day or 90 day mortality from ACLF.
Citations - 189 (as of July 2017)
- Formation of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts using a balloon dilatation catheter: preliminary clinical experience.
- Colapinto RF, Stronell RD, Gildiner M, Ritchie AC, Langer B, Taylor BR, Blendis LM.
- AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1983 Apr;140(4):709-14.
Rationale for inclusion: This documents the first 6 patients who underwent TIPS (there was at least one dog study prior) for bleeding. All six died of their liver failure in the next six months. Four had autopsies; of those, three of the shunts were still patent at the time of death.
Citations - 162 (as of July 2017)
- Heterologous extracorporeal hepatic support: haemodynamic, biochemical, and immunological observations.
- Abouna GM, Ashcroft T, Muckle TJ, Skillen AW, Hull CJ, Kirkley JR, Hodson AW.
- Br J Surg. 1970 Mar;57(3):213-20.
Rationale for inclusion: This is the first animal trial (calves with induced hepatic failure used pig livers as hepatic support) for articifical liver support.
Citations - 17 (as of July 2017)