GI - Liver: Critical Care in Hepatic Failure
- Suboptimal Implementation of Evidence-based Therapy for Acute Variceal Hemorrhage: A Systematic Review of Observational Studies.
- Tapper EB, Beste L, Curry M, Bonder A, Waljee A, Saini S.
- Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017 Feb 27. pii: S1542-3565(17)30198-2.
Rationale for inclusion: This is a survey that demonstrates "suboptimal implementation" of the evidence-based practices for critical management of variceal bleeding.
Citations - 0 (as of July 2017)
- Advances in management and prognostication in critically ill cirrhotic patients.
- Karvellas CJ, Bagshaw SM.
- Curr Opin Crit Care. 2014 Apr;20(2):210-7
Rationale for inclusion: This is a really comprehensive survey of the latest therapies for cirrhotic patients presenting with sepsis, variceal bleeds, hepatorenal syndrome, as well as scoring systems. The CANONIC, HELIOS, and RELIEF trials are discussed.
Citations - 16 (as of July 2017)
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure is a distinct syndrome that develops in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis.
- Moreau R, Jalan R, Gines P, Pavesi M, Angeli P, Cordoba J, Durand F, Gustot T, Saliba F, Domenicali M, Gerbes A, Wendon J, Alessandria C, Laleman W, Zeuzem S, Trebicka J, Bernardi M, Arroyo V; CANONIC Study Investigators of the EASL–CLIF Consortium.
- Gastroenterology. 2013 Jun;144(7):1426-37, 1437.e1-9.
Rationale for inclusion: This article established the criteria and staging scores for ACLF - this is a paper from the EASL-CLIF consortium.
Citations - 608 (as of July 2017)