ID - Sepsis
- Developing a New Definition and Assessing New Clinical Criteria for Septic Shock: For the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis and Septic Shock (Sepsis-3).
- Shankar-Hari M, Phillips GS, Levy ML, Seymour CW, Liu VX, Deutschman CS, Angus DC, Rubenfeld GD, Singer M; Sepsis Definitions Task Force.
- JAMA. 2016 Feb 23;315(8):775-87.
Rationale for inclusion: SEPSIS 3 explained!
Citations - 262 (as of July 2017)
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012.
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Douglas IS, Jaeschke R, Osborn TM, Nunnally ME, Townsend SR, Reinhart K, Kleinpell RM, Angus DC, Deutschman CS, Machado FR, Rubenfeld GD, Webb SA, Beale RJ, Vincent JL, Moreno R; Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines Committee including the Pediatric Subgroup.
- Crit Care Med. 2013 Feb;41(2):580-637.
Rationale for inclusion: Contemporary (2013) comprehensive sepsis guidelines by the socitey of critical care medicine.
Citations - 7163 (as of July 2017)
- Fluid resuscitation in septic shock: a positive fluid balance and elevated central venous pressure are associated with increased mortality.
- Boyd JH, Forbes J, Nakada TA, Walley KR, Russell JA.
- Crit Care Med. 2011 Feb;39(2):259-65.
Rationale for inclusion: Over-resuscitation is bad!
Citations - 818 (as of July 2017)
- Early lactate clearance is associated with improved outcome in severe sepsis and septic shock.
- Nguyen HB, Rivers EP, Knoblich BP, Jacobsen G, Muzzin A, Ressler JA, Tomlanovich MC.
- Crit Care Med. 2004 Aug;32(8):1637-42.
Rationale for inclusion: Lactate as an indicator of sepsis resuscitation: improves outcome
Citations - 1137 (as of July 2017)
- Effect of treatment with low doses of hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone on mortality in patients with septic shock.
- Annane D, Sébille V, Charpentier C, Bollaert PE, François B, Korach JM, Capellier G, Cohen Y, Azoulay E, Troché G, Chaumet-Riffaud P, Bellissant E.
- JAMA. 2002 Aug 21;288(7):862-71.
Rationale for inclusion: Classic article on steroids and adrenal insufficiency in critical illness.
Citations - 3284 (as of July 2017)
- Effect of stored-blood transfusion on oxygen delivery in patients with sepsis.
- Marik PE, Sibbald WJ.
- JAMA. 1993 Jun 16;269(23):3024-9.
Rationale for inclusion: Classic article on the physiology of sepsis and the effect of transfused blood on oxygen therapy.
Citations - 867 (as of July 2017)