Neuro - Sedation
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam for sedation of critically ill patients: a randomized trial.
- Riker RR, Shehabi Y, Bokesch PM, Ceraso D, Wisemandle W, Koura F, Whitten P, Margolis BD, Byrne DW, Ely EW, Rocha MG; SEDCOM (Safety and Efficacy of Dexmedetomidine Compared With Midazolam) Study Group.
- JAMA. 2009 Feb 4;301(5):489-99.
Rationale for inclusion: One of the better head-to-head trials of dexmedetomidine vs versed in a RCT.
Citations - 1132 (as of July 2017)
- Efficacy and safety of a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in intensive care (Awakening and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomised controlled trial.
- Girard TD, Kress JP, Fuchs BD, Thomason JW, Schweickert WD, Pun BT, Taichman DB, Dunn JG, Pohlman AS, Kinniry PA, Jackson JC, Canonico AE, Light RW, Shintani AK, Thompson JL, Gordon SM, Hall JB, Dittus RS, Bernard GR, Ely EW.
- Lancet. 2008 Jan 12;371(9607):126-34.
Rationale for inclusion: Original "Wake up and Breath" trial.
Citations - 1426 (as of July 2017)
- Daily interruption of sedative infusions in critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation.
- Kress JP, Pohlman AS, O'Connor MF, Hall JB.
- N Engl J Med. 2000 May 18;342(20):1471-7.
Rationale for inclusion: This paper describes the original "daily sedation holidays" which were popular and should be known for historic purposes. Today, light sedation at all times is the goal, as per "the wake up and breath" campaign.
Citations - 2746 (as of July 2017)