2018 Letter of Intent - The John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship
Thank you for submitting your Letter of Intent for the John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship. This scholarship is made possible through the generous donation of long time EAST member, the late, John (Jack) M. Templeton, Jr., MD. Dr. Templeton’s vision was to help support a young investigator perform an interventional trial in the field of injury prevention. Applicants do not have to be physicians and may be enrolled in graduate medical education. The amount of the award is $10,000 for one (1) year only. All Letters of Intent must be submitted by July 14, 2017 for consideration.
Following receipt of the Letters of Intent, the Research-Scholarship Committee, along with the Chair of the Injury Control & Violence Prevention Committee and Research Division Chair will judge applicants on the basis of the merit of their proposal and the potential of the applicant of future contributions to the field of injury prevention. The top applicants will be invited to submit full proposals by October 2, 2017. The EAST Research-Scholarship Committee, along with the Chair of the Injury Control & Violence Prevention Committee and Research Division Chair, will review full proposals in October 2017 and select the final awardee. The announcement of the scholarship recipient will be made, following the review process, at the EAST Annual Scientific Assembly to be held January 9-13, 2018 at Disney's Contemporary Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. The period of the award is for one (1) year.
Please complete all information being requested. Incomplete proposals will not be considered. Please note, applicants do not need to be i) members of the EAST or ii) within a specific georgraphic area to submit an application.
While EAST membership is not required to submit a scholarship application, consider becoming a member with an unique organization with a multidisciplinary membership of more than 1,900 who are part of the Trauma Service Team and involved in the treatment and care of the injured patient. For additional information or to complete an application click here.
John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship Application Instructions & Terms
- The intent of the John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship is an interventional trial in the field of injury prevention. Applications that solely investigate administrative or other large databases without a clearly described intervention will not be considered.
- Applicant must be an American or Canadian citizen or permanent resident and demonstrate a commitment to an academic career in the field of injury prevention in the United States or Canada.
- Applicant does not have to be a physician and may be enrolled in graduate medical education.
- The applicant must identify a mentor to provide academic leadership.
Applicant and Mentor Criteria:
- Applicant must be 50 years of age or younger by July 1, 2018.
- EAST membership is NOT required for application. The applicant must identify a mentor to provide academic and scientific leadership. The mentor may not be an active or senior member of EAST but must have an expertise in the area of research. If both applicant and mentor are not members of EAST, a sponsor must be identified who is an active EAST member.
- This award is meant to support young investigators who have not received significant funding by major governmental sources (i.e., AHRQ, CDC). However, applicants with other funding up to $30,000 annually will be considered.
- Award is made to the institution only
- Funds must be used for direct support of the awardee, but otherwise unrestricted
- No indirect costs are payable to the institution