John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship of the EAST Foundation Application Instructions
The John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship of the EAST Foundation
Following receipt of the Letters of Intent, the Research-Scholarship Committee, along with members of the Injury Control and Violence Prevention Committee, will judge Letters of Intent on the basis of the merit of their proposal and the potential of the applicant of future contributions to the field of injury prevention. The top ranked Letters of Intent will be invited to submit full proposals (applications) by October 31, 2013. The Research-Scholarship Committee will review full proposals in November 2013 and select the final awardee.
Application Instructions and Terms
- The intent of the John M. Templeton, Jr. MD Injury Prevention Research Scholarship is an interventional trial in the field of injury prevention. Applications that solely investigate administrative or other large databases without a clearly described intervention will not be considered.
Applicant and Mentor Criteria:
- Applicant must be an American or Canadian citizen or permanent resident and demonstrate a commitment to an academic career in the field of injury prevention in the United States or Canada.
- Applicant does not have to be a physician and may be enrolled in graduate medical education.
- The applicant must identify a mentor to provide academic leadership. Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Applicant must be 50 years of age or younger by July 1, 2014.
- EAST membership is NOT required for application. The applicant must identify a mentor to provide academic and scientific leadership. The mentor is not required to be an active or senior member of EAST but must have an expertise in the area of research. If both applicant and mentor are not members of EAST, a sponsor must identified who is an active EAST member.
- This award is meant to support young investigators who have not received significant funding by major governmental sources (i.e., AHRQ, CDC). However, applicants with other funding up to $30,000.00 annually will be considered. All funded support shall be listed. Consideration will be given to those with other support and who are most likely to complete the work proposed.
- Applicant must provide a written report on the funded project at the end of the year.
- It is anticipated that the recipient will be present to receive the award at the EAST Annual Scientific Assembly to be held January 14-18, 2014 at the Waldorf Astoria Naples in Naples, Florida.
- The recipient is expected to present a summary of his/her work supported through the award at the business meeting of the EAST Annual Scientific Assembly to be held January 13-17, 2015 at Disney's Contemporary Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Applicant must agree to acknowledge support by the John M. Templeton, Jr., MD Injury Prevention Scholarship of the EAST Foundation in any publication arising from the supported work.
- Deadline for receipt of the application by the chairperson, EAST Research-Scholarship Committee is October 31, 2013 for the award announcement at the January 2014 EAST Annual Scientific Assembly and funding to commence July 1, 2014.
- Award is made to the institution only
- Funds must be used for direct support of the awardee, but otherwise unrestricted
- No indirect costs are payable to the institution
- Complete accounting must be provided to the grantor on demand and at the conclusion of the award period
- Unexpended funds must be returned to the grantor no later than 90 days following the end of the award period