Denver Health Medical Center Posted Nov 4, 2022
Trauma Medical Director
Denver Health Medical Center is recruiting for a Trauma Medical Director for the Department of Surgery. The Trauma Medical Director (TMD) is the Trauma Surgeon who has been assigned by the hospital executive leadership and the Department of Surgery Director of Service to lead the multidisciplinary activities of the Trauma Program. The role of the Trauma Medical Director will be to pursue and continuously maintain the full development of the trauma center in terms of quality of care, volume, scope of services and cost-effectiveness, education, research, and to organize and manage the overall physician/surgeon component of the trauma service.
This position will be associated with a 0.5 FTE The expectation is approximately 0.5 of this FTE will be utilized to support the administrative requirements of the Trauma Medical Director, with the remainder being clinical FTE.
As an institution, Denver Health is a nationally recognized integrated health care system which includes: a Level 1 trauma center, a large network of community health centers, the city and county public health department, the city-wide advanced life support EMS agency (Denver Paramedics) and a regional poison control center. Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3billion in care for the underserviced over the last ten years. We are an academic affiliate of the University of Colorado and all faculty hired at Denver Health are appointed a faculty rank commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Complies with ACS and state requirements for Trauma surgeon and Level one Trauma Medical Director.
2. Oversees all aspects of the multidisciplinary care from the time of injury through discharge.
3. May actively participate in the management of care of any injured patient at DHMC
4. Coordinates, approves and provides input on the development and maintenance of practice guidelines, policies, and methodologies for trauma medical/surgical patient care.
5. Demonstrates consistent, efficient, cost effective, quality trauma medical/surgical care at all times.
6. Demonstrates individual accountability for clinical practice by participating in trauma care and following established practice management guidelines.
7. Reports quality of care issues promptly to appropriate individuals, including Surgery Director of Service, Risk Manager, administration, and Trauma program manager.
8. Chairs the Multi-Disciplinary Trauma Peer Review Committee, and actively participates in all relevant trauma medical QA/PI and peer review activities.
9. Attends and participates (or designates an appropriate alternate) on Medical Staff Quality Review Committee when a trauma case is under review.
10. Collaborates with the Trauma Program Manager and leaders of departments involved in the care of the injured patient to establish trauma program goals and objectives consistent with those of the hospital and ensure that those of the trauma service are being met.
11. Consistently demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues, hospital personnel, and patients/family in order to achieve maximum operational effectiveness, cross departmental relationship building and customer satisfaction.
12. Promotes the mission and values of Denver Health Medical Center
13. The TMD has the authority to oversee all aspects of care of the injured patient as necessary to carry out his/her responsibility for the overall management of the Trauma Program.
14. Reviews, as needed, the performance and qualifications of Trauma Surgeons and members of the broader trauma team, including members of the departments of orthopedics, neurosurgery, anesthesia and emergency medicine who provide trauma care at Denver Health Medical Center.
15. Has authority to limit provider participation in trauma-related care and recommend to the MSEC the restriction, limitation or suspension of trauma privileges when concerns arise.
16. Has authority to recommend or decline to recommend the grant or continuance of trauma privileges for members of the broader trauma team.
17. Performs and participates in an annual review (credentialing) process of all Trauma Surgeons and all co-specialists providing trauma care at Denver Health Medical Center.
18. The Trauma Medical Director has the authority to remove members from/appoint members to the trauma panel.
19. The Trauma Medical Director will serve as an ad hoc member of the Medical Staff Practitioner Credentialing/Privileging and Quality Review Committees.
20. Establishes a physician case management process which fosters cost-effective, high quality patient care.
21. Coordinates, participates and or chairs trauma, educational, quality assurance and multi-disciplinary meetings.
22. Establishes practice patterns to maintain compliance of the trauma medical/surgical care with all regulatory and trauma designation/verification requirements of national and local verifying and designating agencies.
23. Develops strategic relationships with referring hospitals and physicians.
24. Assists in strategic growth initiatives
25. Maintains relations with community organizations and legislative bodies whose activities relate to trauma care and injury prevention.
26. Coordinates and participates in trauma surgeon recruitment, trauma service marketing, and community education/prevention activities.
27. Participates in trauma patient/family satisfaction projects.
28. Assists the Trauma Program Manager in developing and meeting the Trauma Service budgetary goals.
29. Participates in coordinating ATLS courses in local area.
30. Adheres to Trauma Service guidelines and assists in the education and training of hospital personnel.
31. Provides medical direction in the coordination of the Denver Health Annual Trauma Symposium.
32. Participates in the education of ancillary staff at Denver Health Medical Center
33. Provides educational trauma case presentations to regional facilities which have referred patients to regional facilities. The educational session will be open to pre-hospital, nursing, ancillary and physician staff.
34. Provides oversight and helps ensure confidentiality of Trauma Registry in conjunction w/ hospital administration.
35. Establishes guidelines for use of DHMC Trauma Registry data outside the Trauma Program.
36. Reviews and approves written requests for registry data use by individuals or departments.
37. Promotes, engages in, and support trauma related research in the department.
Education and Experience
1. Must have MD, MD/PhD or DO degree and be eligible to obtain an unrestricted Colorado medical license
2. Board certified in General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care.
3. Graduation from an Accredited Medical School and completed Accredited Residency Programs and fellowships for specialist, or equivalent.
4. Additional advanced degrees including MPH or MBA encouraged but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures and techniques.
2. Thorough knowledge of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment.
3. Able to effectively manage and direct medical staff support activities while providing quality medical care.
4. Able to receive detailed information through oral communications; express or exchange ideas by verbal communications.
5. Excellent written and verbal communications, listening, and social skills.
6. Able to interact effectively with people of varied educational, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds, skill levels and value systems.
7. Performs in a tactful and professional manner.
8. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
9. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
10. Demonstrates a work history of positive collegial relations with colleagues, support staff, hospital-based providers, administrators and patients.
Certificates, Licenses and Registration
1. Medical license to practice in State of Colorado.
This position will be responsible for, but not limited to, coaching, supervision, fostering teamwork, training and development of one or more employees.
Procedures for candidacy:
Candidates can apply online or submit CV and cover letter to: Aaron Ortiz, Manager Provider Recruitment | email@example.com
How to apply
Procedures for candidacy:
Candidates can apply online or submit CV and cover letter to:
Aaron Ortiz, Manager Provider Recruitment | firstname.lastname@example.org
777 Delaware St
Denver, CO 80204
|Denver Health Medical Center
Trauma Medical Director
This information is provided by the party posting the listing and is solely responsible for its content. EAST is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing.