Transitions of Care/Handoffs2020
Type: New Practice Management Guideline (PMG)
Committee Liaison: George Kasotakis, MD, MPH
Transitions of care and handoffs have been shown to be important for patient safety if done appropriately. What constitutes appropriate is not known. There is some literature that suggests that handoffs/checklists improve care. Questions we hope to answer include:
- Do handoffs prevent harm?
- Should handoffs be standardized?
- What handoff method is best?
- What should be included in a standardized handoff?
- Who should perform standardized handoffs?
Sofya Asfaw, MD
Zachary Bauman, DO, MHA
Jaswin Sawhney, MD