- The AAST prospective Aortic Occlusion for Resuscitation in Trauma and Acute Care Surgery (AORTA) registry: Data on contemporary utilization and outcomes of aortic occlusion and resuscitative balloon occlusion of the aorta (REBOA).
- DuBose JJ, Scalea TM, Brenner M, Skiada D, Inaba K, Cannon J, Moore L, Holcomb J, Turay D, Arbabi CN, Kirkpatrick A, Xiao J, Skarupa D, Poulin N; AAST AORTA Study Group.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Sep;81(3):409-19.
Rationale for inclusion: Prospective multi-center trial of REBOA initial results, suggesting that REBOA is a viable alternative to open aortic occlusion for centers who are able to perform the technique.
Citations - 31 (as of July 2017)
- Implementation of resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta as an alternative to resuscitative thoracotomy for noncompressible truncal hemorrhage.
- Moore LJ, Brenner M, Kozar RA, Pasley J, Wade CE, Baraniuk MS, Scalea T, Holcomb JB.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 Oct;79(4):523-30; discussion 530-2.
Rationale for inclusion: REBOA compared with resuscitative thoracotomy for truncal hemorrhage showed improved survival with REBOA.
Citations - 49 (as of July 2017)
- The role of REBOA in the control of exsanguinating torso hemorrhage.
- Biffl WL, Fox CJ, Moore EE.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 May;78(5):1054-8.
Rationale for inclusion: Proposed algorithm for the use of REBOA in patients with exsanguinating torso hemorrhage.
Citations - 55 (as of July 2017)
- Evaluation of the safety and feasibility of resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta.
- Saito N, Matsumoto H, Yagi T, Hara Y, Hayashida K, Motomura T, Mashiko K, Iida H, Yokota H, Wagatsuma Y.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 May;78(5):897-903; discussion 904.
Rationale for inclusion: Describes use of REBOA in 24 patients in Tokyo, including 3 complications. Describes increased blood pressure with use of REBOA.
Citations - 51 (as of July 2017)
- Survival of severe blunt trauma patients treated with resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta compared with propensity score-adjusted untreated patients.
- Norii T, Crandall C, Terasaka Y.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 Apr;78(4):721-8.
Rationale for inclusion: NTDB study showed higher mortality in patients who received REBOA than propensity score matched patients who did not, although this is not fully explained
Citations - 42 (as of July 2017)
- A clinical series of resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta for hemorrhage control and resuscitation.
- Brenner ML, Moore LJ, DuBose JJ, Tyson GH, McNutt MK, Albarado RP, Holcomb JB, Scalea TM, Rasmussen TE.
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013 Sep;75(3):506-11.
Rationale for inclusion: Describes use of REBOA in 6 patients, with short aortic occlusion times and improvement in blood pressure.
Citations - 173 (as of July 2017)
- Intra-aortic balloon occlusion to salvage patients with life-threatening hemorrhagic shocks from pelvic fractures.
- Martinelli T, Thony F, Decléty P, Sengel C, Broux C, Tonetti J, Payen JF, Ferretti G.
- J Trauma. 2010 Apr;68(4):942-8.
Rationale for inclusion: Description of placement of an intraortic balloon occlusion utilized in 13 patients with hemorrhagic shock from pelvic fracture, with successful placement, allowing for angiography. Survival 46%.
Citations - 176 (as of July 2017)