EAST is the only professional association dedicated to the development of the early career trauma surgeon. We welcome applications from junior surgeons with an interest and training in trauma and acute care surgery, established surgeons who might serve as their mentors and ancillary care providers (e.g., physicians in non-surgical specialties and non-physicians) who support this endeavor. Medical students and physicians from other countries are also welcome to join.
Start Your Application TodayMembership applications are being accepted now through November 15, 2021. Applicants will be notified by email of their membership status by January 31, 2022.
Sponsor request form
Applying is easy. Scroll down to learn more about the process and find additional information regarding membership types, eligibility requirements, and related annual dues. Please note that there is a $50 non-refundable application fee for all applicants.
STart or review your application
For assistance finding sponsors, complete the sponsor request form below.
EAST Membership Categories and Eligibility RequirementsQualification for Active membership requires an applicant to be a licensed physician, active in the field of trauma residing in the United States, its territories, or Canada, and in possession of a valid certificate from a surgical board which is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Physicians who are not yet board certified may join EAST as Provisional members. Physicians from other countries are also welcome to join as International members. Other health care professionals may join as Associate members. Students enrolled full-time in an accredited medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) located within the United States, its territories, or Canada may join as Medical Students. For more information, see the chart below.
|Category||Description||2021 Dues - EAST Membership Year is January 1 - December 31|
|Active||Licensed physician, under the age of 50, active in the field of trauma, residing in the United States, its territories, or Canada, and in possession of a valid certificate from a surgical board which is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties (“ABMS”) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (“RCPSC”) or maintaining certification requirements that the EAST Board of Directors deems equivalent to those required for membership in ABMS or RCPSC.
|Senior||Individuals 50 years of age and older who meet the requirements for Active membership
|Provisional||Meets requirements for Active membership but not yet board certified. This membership type is also for any person enrolled in an approved U.S. or Canadian general surgery residency program.
|Fellow-In-Training||Meets the requirements for Active or Provisional membership but is completing a Trauma/Surgical Critical Care/Acute Care Surgery Fellowship. Fellowship cannot be completed prior to June 30 of the year membership would begin.||$75 First Year of membership. Amount for subsequent years will be based on Membership Category (i.e. Active or Provisional)|
|Associate||Physicians in non-surgical specialties and non-physicians such as advanced practice providers and nurses residing in the United States, its territories, or Canada||$325|
|Medical Student||Enrolled full-time in an accredited medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) located within the United States, its territories, or Canada||$0|
|International||Non-residents of the United States, its territories, or Canada, contributing to trauma||$0|
Membership Application Steps
To join our organization, follow the easy steps in the online application system. Once you initiate the process, you may log back in at any time and follow the status of your application.
All information, which includes completed sponsor attestations and receipt of the application fee, must be submitted online and received by the November 15, 2021 deadline; otherwise, your application will not be considered and will be deleted from the system. You will need to reapply and pay appropriate application fees when the subsequent application cycle opens.
Applications that are completed by the November 15, 2021 deadline will be reviewed and presented for approval at the Annual Business Meeting held in January 2022. Applicants will be notified by email of their membership status by January 31, 2022.
The following items are required in order to process your application:
- Online application form
- Application fee charged to your MasterCard, Visa, or American Express ($50, non-refundable)
- Curriculum vitae - uploaded to membership application record. Please note: if you encounter problems uploading your CV, make sure that Flash is enabled. To enable Flash, go to browser settings. Under the Flash section, either turn on Flash everywhere by clicking “allow sites to run Flash” or turn Flash on for this site by clicking “manage exceptions” and adding the url for the EAST site: east.org.
- All Active, Senior, Provisional, and Fellow-in-Training applicants are required to have at least two EAST Active or Senior member sponsors. You will be required to list three names and two must agree to sponsor your application. All EAST members are listed in the online application form.
- All Medical Student or International applicants are required to have one EAST Active or Senior member sponsor. You will be required to list two names and one must agree to sponsor your application. All EAST members are listed in the online application form.
- All Associate applicants are required to have two EAST Active, Senior, or Associate member sponsors. You will be required to list three names and two must agree to sponsor your application. All EAST members are listed in the online application form.
Sponsor requests will be sent automatically via email upon submission of your application. Sponsors must complete the online attestation by the November 15 application deadline, or your application will not be considered. Hard copies or email copies of sponsorship cannot be accepted. Before selecting your sponsors, you are encouraged to contact them personally and ask if they will be willing to sponsor your membership in EAST. Need help finding sponsors? Refer to the Sponsor section at the top of this page.