Message from the EAST President
Monday, March 1, 2021
I would like to start with my first formal address to the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST) family with some thanks to the EAST staff: Christine Eme, Rachel Dixon, Katie Dwyer, Kinga Litwiniuk, and Nakia Rounsaville who have worked very hard this past year. We had a very successful EAST Annual Scientific Assembly (held virtually) with more than 700 registrants. The Annual Scientific Assembly Committee led by Dr. Cynthia Talley did a fantastic job reviewing 414 abstracts submitted and selecting 33 excellent scientific presentations and 17 quick shots. Other highlights were the Scott B. Frame, MD Memorial Lecture given by Dr. Mary E. Fallat, the Oriens Keynote by Dr. Sharon Henry, Scientific Papers That Should Change Your Practice, and an update on select Practice Management Guidelines. The Presidential Address by Dr. A. Britton Christmas was fantastic and I would like to thank him again for his incredible leadership this difficult past year.
One of my favorite parts is always listening to the powerful essays read by the Oriens Essay authors. The winners this year were Alexandra, C. Ferre, MD and Margo N. Carlin, DO. I cannot thank you both enough for telling your stories and I would encourage us to find and support future applicants They are powerful, inspiring, and recharging.
I was very excited this year to be part of the Nominating Committee for the first time. It is a huge honor and responsibility. Past President, the one and only, Dr. Elliott Haut did an excellent job of leading the process and I am in awe of the people nominated and were subsequently appointed into key EAST leadership positions.
Those positions and people are listed below:
President-Elect - Deborah M. Stein, MD, MPH, FACS, FCCM – 1 year term (2021-2022)
Secretary - Nicole Fox, MD, MPH, FACS - 3 year term (2021-2024)
Director-at-Large, Division of Professional Development - Jamie Coleman, MD, FACS – 3-year term (2021-2024)
Nominating Committee Members-at-Large
Shannon M. Foster, MD, FACS – 1-year term (2021-2022)
D'Andrea Joseph, MD, FACS – 1-year term (2021-2022)
I also had the taunting but important task of assigning EAST members to committees and ad hoc task forces and appointing leadership of many positions. I would like to congratulate the new committee chairs below:
- Development Committee – Jeffry Nahmias, MD, MHPE, FACS
- Division of Member Services:
- Equity, Quality and Inclusion in Trauma Surgery Practice Committee - Bellal Joseph, MD, FACS, Co-Chair & Esther Tseng, MD, FACS, Co-Chair
- Division of Professional Development
- Career Development Committee – Salina Wydo, MD
- Mentoring Committee – Molly Flannagan, MD, FACS
- Division of Patient Care and Resources:
- Guidelines Committee –George Kasotakis, MD, MPH, FACS, Chair and Lisa Kodadek, MD, FACS, Vice-Chair
- Quality, Safety, and Outcomes Committee – Kyle Cunningham, MD, MPH, FACS
- Division of Research
- Multicenter Trials Committee – John Cull, MD, FACS
I would like to welcome our 343 new members to the organization. We look forward to getting to know you and encourage you to get involved. As I look over the upcoming leadership and new members, I know that the organization is continuing in amazing directions and is getting better every year. Our organization is approaching 3,000 members and it such an honor to serve as President of EAST.
As we move forward this year I would like to focus on a couple of things throughout the year.
- Think what you can do to make our communities and patient outcomes better every day.
- When things get rough and you are struggling, take a deep breath and always try to be your “BEST SELF”
In closing, I would like to leave you with a quote from one of my favorite authors, Bill Watterson. “We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.” – Calvin & Hobbes
Jeffrey A. Claridge, MD, MS, FACS
President, Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma