EAST Bylaws and Governance
Bylaws of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
The EAST Bylaws accomplish the following:
- Ensure compliance and consistency with the Tennessee Nonprofit Corporation Act (T.C.A.), the Internal Revenue Code, and all other applicable state and federal statutes;
- Update language and redact ambiguous and unnecessary provisions contained in the current Bylaws;
- Facilitate EAST’s efficient operations and reflect industry practices;
- Protect EAST, and its Board members and other leaders, from claims and other liabilities; and
- Ensure EAST’s Bylaws specifically and accurately reflect the proposed governance structure.
In order to enhance the Board’s ability to manage the Association’s affairs, the Association’s operational activities that are not conducted by the standing committees shall be divided among divisions (“Divisions”). The Divisions are chaired by a Director-at-Large and shall include:
(A) Division of Education;
(B) Division of Member Services;
(C) Division of Patient Care and Resources;
(D) Division of Professional Development;
(E) Division of Publications; and
(F) Division of Research.
Committees have been established within each Division. Committees chairs and members are appointed by the President with approval from the EAST Board.