Audio interviews addressing upcoming research and its application to the injured patient, education efforts related to trauma, and novel methods in the management of injury.
Thank you to Haemonetics for supporting the EAST Traumacast!
Podcasts Currently Available
- Acute Care Surgery
- Conferences and Meeting Highlights
- Critical Care
- Damage Control
- Diagnosis and Imaging
- Emergency General Surgery
- Endovascular Trauma
- Geriatric Trauma
- Global Surgery
- Grab Bag
- Injury Prevention
- Literature Reviews
- Pediatric Trauma
- Professional Development
- Research Methods
- Trauma Systems
- Violence and Injury Prevention
- Rural Trauma
- Burn Surgery
- Pelvic Trauma
- Abdominal Trauma
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Don’t Practice “Renalism” – A Discussion About Contrast Associated Acute Kidney Injury - #149
Drs. Jeremy Levin, Michal Radomski and Carrie Valdez discuss with Dr. Brad Dennis and Dr. Steven Weisbord contrast associated acute kidney injury – from the renal medulla to “renalism,” a discussion of clinical consequences, and much in between. Should I adjust imaging order based on existing AKI? Should risk of AKI alter imaging acquisition decision making in the trauma bay? Are there strategies to mitigate the impact of contrast? Listen to find out!
- Guidelines – KDIGO
- Weisbord SD, Gallagher M, Kaufman J, Cass A, Parikh CR, Chertow GM, Shunk KA, McCullough PA, Fine MJ, Mor MK, Lew RA, Huang GD, Conner TA, Brophy MT, Lee J, Soliva S, Palevsky PM. Prevention of contrast-induced AKI: a review of published trials and the design of the prevention of serious adverse events following angiography (PRESERVE) trial. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013 Sep;8(9):1618-31. doi: 10.2215/CJN.11161012. Epub 2013 May 9. PMID: 23660180; PMCID: PMC3805082.
- Inker LA, Eneanya ND, Coresh J, Tighiouart H, Wang D, Sang Y, Crews DC, Doria A, Estrella MM, Froissart M, Grams ME, Greene T, Grubb A, Gudnason V, Gutiérrez OM, Kalil R, Karger AB, Mauer M, Navis G, Nelson RG, Poggio ED, Rodby R, Rossing P, Rule AD, Selvin E, Seegmiller JC, Shlipak MG, Torres VE, Yang W, Ballew SH, Couture SJ, Powe NR, Levey AS; Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration. New Creatinine- and Cystatin C-Based Equations to Estimate GFR without Race. N Engl J Med. 2021 Sep 23. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2102953.
- Weisbord SD, Gallagher M, Jneid H, Garcia S, Cass A, Thwin SS, Conner TA, Chertow GM, Bhatt DL, Shunk K, Parikh CR, McFalls EO, Brophy M, Ferguson R, Wu H, Androsenko M, Myles J, Kaufman J, Palevsky PM; PRESERVE Trial Group. Outcomes after Angiography with Sodium Bicarbonate and Acetylcysteine. N Engl J Med. 2018 Feb 15;378(7):603-614. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1710933.
- Listen Download
- Making POCUS More Than Just Screen Static - #148
Drs. Shyam Murali, Rita Brintzenhoff and Lauren Dudas discuss POCUS with Drs. Sarah Murthi and Paula Ferrada. Why is it so great? What are some tips for challenging image acquisition? How can I get a program started? Can my images get validated? And what is on the horizon? Hear the answers to these questions and more with this animated group!
Prospective evaluation of surgeons' use of ultrasound in the evaluation of trauma patients by Grace Rozycki et al.
Cold Steel: Canadian Journal of Surgery Podcast with Grace Rozycki
Surgical Critical Care Program Directors Society Ultrasound Curriculum
Quantifying systemic congestion with Point-Of-Care ultrasound: development of the venous excess ultrasound grading system by William Beaubien-Souligny et al. (original VEXUS Scan publication)
- Listen Download
- EAST Town Hall Debate – Clearing the C-spine based on CT scan Only - Best Practice or Dangerous Precedent? - Podcast #65
Election season is upon us…Drs. Schuster and Stassen (EAST president) face off with Drs. Patel and Skinner! The experts debate the merits of cervical spine collar clearance based on CT alone in the obtunded patient. This debate is based on the EAST 2015 PMG (link below). Audience members called in and pressed our experts for answers to difficult questions. Who won the debate…click “PLAY” and find out. Stay tuned for the next Traumacast!
Drs. Kevin Pei and Matthew Martin served as moderators for this debate.
EAST PMG - Cervial Spine Collar Clearance in the Obtunded Adult Blunt Trauma Patient
- Listen Download
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE IS NOT INTENDED TO, AND DOES NOT, PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. All health care content available on or through this website is presented by the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma ("EAST") for general informational purposes only and must not be regarded as a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a professional health care provider. THE EAST DOES NOT RECOMMEND OR ENDORSE, AND DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY RELATING TO, any particular products, procedures, opinions or other information presented or referred to on or through this website(including but not limited to the content of any advertisement), except for any statements specifically identified as expressing a policy or position officially approved by EAST.